For some reason, I can never find serving platters that I’m happy with for the holidays. Either that, or I find one I love and it’s $$$. If it’s only being used once a year, there’s no chance I’ll drop a large chunk of change on it.
And since I wanted to customize our holiday decor a bit more, I set out to decorate our own trays this year. I did a Christmas tray that’s perfect for this time of the year along with a chalkboard tray DIY that can be used all throughout the year!
These trays are really easy, but they’ll add a lot more sparkle to your holiday entertaining! Especially because the trays that I used from Oriental Trading come in a pack of a dozen. Which means you can customize a ton for your parties at a fantastic price!
I did not use food safe paint though so mine are merely for carrying drinks, snacks, serving ware, etc. But they’re definitely perfect for snacks and goodies if you use food safe paint!
- Trays from Oriental Trading
- Red and Green Paint – I used Martha Stewart Satin Paint
- Chalkboard Paint
- Paintbrushes – I used the foam brushes mostly
For the Green and Red Tray DIY:
- Paint the entire tray green and let dry.
- Squeeze some paint onto a piece of cardboard and dab the foam paintbrush in it. Dab the paintbrush around the cardboard to spread the paint out on the foam and give a more spongey look when put on the tray.
- Sporadically dab the tray with the paint brush, creating a sponged on look with the red paint.
- Let dry and serve your holiday goodies!
For the Chalkboard Tray DIY:
- Paint the entire tray with chalkboard paint and let dry. Repeat at least one more time.
- Using a chalk pen, write your message on the board.
- To change for the seasons, erase the message. Most chalk pens can be erased with window cleaner or a magic eraser.
Easy peasy! You could even write names on them if you’re looking for a way to customize place settings for the table, too :) Oriental Trading also has a larger tray that you can use if you’re looking to make coordinating trays in different sizes.
I’d love to know how you customize your serving dishes for the holidays!